Qualitative and Quantitative Respirator Fit Testing is performed to determine if an employee has an acceptable respiratory fit and can maintain a sufficient seal.
When to Fit Test
- After subject is medically cleared for respirator use
- Before the subject wears the respirator in the workplace
- Facial changes
- Significant weight change
- Change of respirator size, make, model
- Whenever employee reports a problem with fit *The OSHA requirement for annual fit testing of respirators in healthcare settings is currently under review.
OSHA CFR 29.134 states that Respirator Fit Testing must be done prior to use, whenever a different respirator is worn, and at least annually thereafter. Fit Testing will be administered using an OSHA-accepted Qualitative Fit Test or Quantitative Fit Test protocol and the employee must be tested with the same make, model, style, and size of Respirator that will be used on the job.